Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Spirituality and Fibrilation


I consider myself very spiritual.  I’m not very religious, but I am spiritual.  Religions dictate what is acceptable behavior.  Whereas, spirituality dictates from within.  Spirtuality is the belief that we are made up of energy, inside a physical body.  Pierre Chardin once said, "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.  We are  spiritual beings having a human experience."  My family history is filled with spiritual experiences.  They have had a huge impact on my thinking.
My Grandmother was the first to influence my belief in spirituality.  She was old and wise and loved me.  She would talk to me about life and death.  She told me about the death of my grandfather.  My Grandfather had leukemia and died in the hospital.  She had just visited him.  She sat down in her bedroom and looked over toward the door.  There, in the doorway she saw my Grandfather.  He looked healthy and strong and smiled at her.  He was only there for a moment and he disappeared.  The phone rang.  He had just passed away.  He died a moment before he appeared in the doorway.  I believe that she saw him.    
My other experience was with my father.  Three days before he died, his heart went into fibrilation.  Fibrilation is rapid irregular contractions of the heart muscle.  Treatment requires that they shock the heart, once to stop it, and then shock it again to restart it.  After the event, the doctor explained to us what had transpired.  He assured us that my father was totally unconscious and would not have felt anything nor would he remember anything.  
The following day Dad was again conscious and alert.  “The funniest thing happened to me yesterday.  I was in bed when all of a sudden I felt really strange.  A buzzer went off and the staff started running around me.  Then, they shocked me.  I felt this incredible jolt of electricity going through my body.  The next thing I knew, I was up in the corner watching them.  I could see myself as they all ran around me.  Then they zapped me again and I was back in my body.”  
I remember my mother and I looking at each other in shock.  He had told us that his spirit left his body and then re-entered it.  I suppose we should have doubted him.  Others would tell us that his experience was just electrical stimulation in his brain.  But my mother and I had no reason to doubt him.     
These two experiences stick me with a belief in the spirit.  When the closest people in your life describe having experiences out of their body, it is compelling.  For me, it helps explain life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment